Friday 4 November 2011

And the award goes to....Emily Sutton



While flicking through my latest copy of Elle Decoration I was really pleased to see that the 2011 Elle Decoration design award for Best British Pattern Design had gone to Emily Sutton for her 'Curiosity Shop' fabric for St Judes. I've met Emily a few times when she was student at Edinburgh College of Art. She always stood out as a very talented illustrator and I'm not surprised to see her in Elle Decoration among such other talents. Her whimsical designs use artefacts and vintage ephemera to re-create a very mid-century feel. I'm also a big fan of St Judes and keep an eye on their blog. They work with a very talented group of people (one of whom is my old head of illustration from ECA - Jonathan Gibbs).

One of the winners from last years Elle Dec design awards - Donna Wilson - has an exhibition at the
Yorkshire Sculpture Park starting very soon (19th Nov). I'm planning a visit to see her lovely textiles in such a great gallery space. It promises knitted trees and other curiosities so I look forward to it.

No comments: