Monday 5 November 2012

A breath of fresh air










I couldn't help but smile to myself as the train pulled into one of my favourite cities on Saturday morning. I've been long-overdue a trip up to Edinburgh for some time and it felt like going back to an old friend (quite literally as I spent the weekend with two very good friends from my Edinburgh College of Art days). A change is most certainly as good as a rest. We crammed lots into a short time - walking through the woods and along the coast near South Queensferry and Cramond Island, leisurely lunches, a fantastic meal out at Timberyard, a visit to the Portrait Gallery and many cups of tea and coffee and catching up. I feel refreshed, reinvigorated and inspired. Different experiences and seeing new things are so important for the creative process and I must make sure I remember this more often. It's certainly made me feel a lot more pro-active.

I have to mention Timberyard again - a restaurant which recently opened on Lady Lawson Street near Edinburgh College of Art. We remembered and reminisced about many trips here when it was a hardware and timber shop (handy for art student supplies). It's now a fantastic large and airy simple space with log burners, mis-matching crockery, bone handled cutlery and the best food I've had in a while. They've successfully created a relaxing informal dining experience but with all-important attention to detail in both interior and food. I thoroughly recommend it.

Thank you Jill and Angela for a lovely weekend.

No comments: