Monday 4 February 2013

Introducing the USA word map





Good morning.
Back in October last year I hinted at having just finished something involving small paint brushes and a bottle of Indian ink. Finally I am very excited and proud to be able to announce that after being kept under wraps for the last few months the Word Map of the USA has arrived!
The statistics make interesting reading....
6 months of research
73 hours of hand painting
919 words
&
x1 pencil
x1 rubber
x4 01 size paint brushes
x1 bottle of black Indian ink
&
well over 100 cups of coffee!!

As with the previous maps this has been a commission by Angus at Snowhome and he was the one one who tirelessly researched the whole of the USA to seek interesting facts and titbits of geographically based culture and history before passing those lists to me to transform them into a typographic hand drawn map of the USA.

I am extremely happy to say that the Word map of the USA along with the whole of the Snowhome Wordmap range will now be exclusively distributed worldwide by giftware brand Luckies of London.
The USA map was launched by Luckies at New York International Gift Fair last week and I've heard that the response was great. I can't wait to see where they go from here....

Other map-replated news..... I've been asked to do a talk at the upcoming British Cartographic Societies 50 year anniversary event in London talking about the typographic maps I've done over the past couple of years. They're looking at a fresh approach to maps and have asked me and a couple of other contemporary map creative people to talk about our work. Scary but exciting!


No comments: