Tuesday 30 July 2013

50 years of creativity






















At the weekend I went across to north Wales to the opening of a new exhibition at Ruthin Craft Centre.
The exhibition 'David Frith, Margaret Frith: 50 Years of Brookhouse Pottery' is a celebratory exhibition marking the couples 50 years of industrious creativity since starting up their pottery together in the 60's. Instead of it being a retrospective the large gallery space contained nearly all new work (some of which only came out of the kiln the day before!) This shows how hard they work and how dedicated they have quite obviously remained for the last 50 years to what they do.
As they're my sister's in-laws I've known David and Margaret for a few years and they've never stood still. Despite turning 70 this year they continue to build (quite literally with kiln sheds popping up left right and centre at the Brookhouse!) on their success and strive to do more with their pots.
I couldn't resist a few photos of their pottery also. I love seeing where the magic happens with creative people. It's always special to gain a little insight into everyday practices and working life.

It's a huge achievement to have been so prevalent in the ceramics world for so long that they must feel very proud. - But I suppose to them it just feels quite normal. I just hope that my enthusiasm for what I do stretches into my 70's and I too can still be enjoying creating work and striving to do more and make more in 30 years time.


No comments: