Friday 27 August 2010

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow


It made a lovely change at the beginning of the week to work on some of my little map collages again.
I started doing these a couple of years ago when I had an exhibition at the Red Door Gallery in Edinburgh. They were very popular so I've been making them for the gallery (and some for Hooper & Shaw in Cornwall) ever since. They seem to have struck a chord with the Red Door visitors and I can't seem to make them fast enough - especially in festival times.
They're always editions of 1 and I don't use the same phrase twice making them all unique.
Cut out of old ordnance survey maps which I buy from a flea market in Pickering, you could get a bit of Scotland or a piece of Devon - who knows! I source lovely well-made small frames from Gillygate framers in York who do a fantastic selection of unusual small off-cut frames. They're all different too so the finished thing really is very unique. They always look great grouped together that I always think it's a shame to split them up. One day I'll get around to doing a group of them for our walls at home.
They've winged their way up to the Red Door Gallery now and will be available to buy in the shop.
The choice this time is:
All or Nothing
Not to Worry
The Best Is Yet To Come
Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Job Well Done

Contact the gallery if you want to snap one of these up.
I've noticed they seem to reflect what kind of mood I'm in at the time so you can generally tell my outlook. I think I must have been feeling positive this week!



No comments: