Saturday 23 October 2010


I know this isn't strictly work-related but the lovely cold sunny autumn weather has inspired me to bake and make lots of home-made things. In the last week or two I've made sloe gin, spiced apple chutney and the other day I made Yorkshire Parkin. This treacly gingery lovely cake/loaf is simple to make and Yorkshire in origin - what more could you want. It so perfectly suits the weather and season right now. I snapped this picture when it was not long out the oven - I know it has a large crater in the middle - think I opened the oven at a crucial point - it still tasted good though!
It didn't last long once my daughter, twin nephews etc....... had all sampled a piece. I'll have to get baking again. What shall I do this time I wonder....?
The recipe I used was the following:

Ingredients -
225g/4oz self raising flour
110g/40z caster sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
200ml/7fl oz milk
55g/2oz butter
110g/4oz golden syrup

Preparation -
1. Preheat the oven to 150c/300f/gas 2. Line a tin.
2. Sieve the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
3. In a small pan gently heat the butter and syrup until melted.
4. Beat the egg into the milk
5. Gradually pour the butter and syrup into the flour and stir. The mixture will be thick
6. Pour in the egg and milk and stir until smooth and pour into a lined tin
7. Bake for 1 hour (mine needed 5-10 mins extra)

Enjoy with a cup of tea of course.

No comments: